Sunday, November 15, 2009

Abaloning




Got my abalone license a couple of weeks ago and decided to head down to Mettam's Pool to grab some abalone. From November through to December is Western Australia's abalone season. Exciting!

Anyhoos, decided to head down to Mettam's Pool and figured out it's gonna be easy cause it's basically a pool..right?

WRONG!

Mettam's is like the freaking ocean with muthaf**king huge ass waves that will flip you around in the water and smack your bum onto a mountain of underwater rocks.

Anyyyyways, after a hour of being hypothermic (I swear I was), getting smashed around in the ocean, and coming back with cuts and bruises, I've got abalone!

Abalone from the back


Abalone from the bottom


Abalone 101


Lesson 1!

Did you know, that abalone is pronounced as abalon-ni

Oh you knew? Solli la I donno mah..


Abalone 101

Lesson 2!

Did you know?? Abalone are not shellfish but snails?

Check out those cute little eyes


Yehhhhh, I think this one is undersized..




Pounding and cleaning abalone is back-breaking work!

2 comments:

  1. omg, i always thought that abalones were shellfish or crusteceans (sp?). They're actually snails! OMGGG!!!

    I learn something new everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete